Car Jacking - Am I Paranoid?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dnhoh

Club Guest
Hi folks, For the first time in my life I am worried about my safety in my car (e60) which I recently acquired. I never worried about car jacking and such in the past (probably largely to due to fact tht I drove cars which no one wants previously!! Haha). Am I being paranoid? Fueled by the press seeking fodder to fill news columns. Or should I really be fearful while riding in my car? Any thought?

Hi Dnhoh,
I know its not very comforting but its one of those realities of life which we have to put up with. Car jacking is just one of them. Be positive, avoid high risk areas, don't stop if someone bumps you from behind and worse come to worse, just give them the keys and claim insurance...

If you want peace of mind, then invest in a good satelite tracking device and with it, if kena hijack, at least you're assured very likely your car will be recovered later. Claiming insurance is a hassle and you won't get 100% of the value you paid for the car. Think about it buddy.......:rolleyes:

Good idea Mikeyew!

Any good recommendation?

The best policy to prevent robbery or theft is that u don't show ur $$$. Since we enjoy driving nice new car, we are exposed!

To be very honest, if I ask my friends whom are UDM owners the same question, they will ask me to move into police station and live there.. :D

Its your choice to either live in the other's shadow or to stand out and shine among the crowds. There's no right or wrong answer as everyone has the right of choice!

Nobody can guarantee there's a tomorrow, why worry so much? :D

Having a beautiful girl friend / wife is risky too but does that mean u would settle on otherwise? :D I know I won't.. :D

nice comment astroboy....

just enjoy the life with a bit precaution......the the rest leave it to faith

Be very, very afraid, due to our very "over worked" police force they can't provide the necessary protection......well if you can afford an E60 then you will be able to afford to install the latest anti car jack system that money can buy. Then should not be any problem then if none of you're love ones is hurt.

astroboy;273221 said:
Good idea Mikeyew!

Any good recommendation?

The best policy to prevent robbery or theft is that u don't show ur $$$. Since we enjoy driving nice new car, we are exposed!

To be very honest, if I ask my friends whom are UDM owners the same question, they will ask me to move into police station and live there.. :D

Its your choice to either live in the other's shadow or to stand out and shine among the crowds. There's no right or wrong answer as everyone has the right of choice!

Nobody can guarantee there's a tomorrow, why worry so much? :D

Having a beautiful girl friend / wife is risky too but does that mean u would settle on otherwise? :D I know I won't.. :D

Hi Astroboy,

I've not install any on my E60 but I have came across a lot of these, like Captor, TRAC A300 etc. Check this out http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forumss/archive/index.php/t-2299.html
or google for "vechile tracking & recovery" and you will find loads of these devices and providers.

For me, my philosophy in life is " Don't worry too much and enjoy life to the fullest as life is too short". Cheers mate:rock:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Guess you guys are right. There is no promise tomorrow (actually it was on the back of that thought I bought the e60!).

Am thinking of installing security film on the windows. Anyone have any recommendations?

I was told Illumar (did I spell that right??) is very good - able to withstand multiple hits with a helmet without the window cracking. But I dont understand and would appreciate anyone who has the experience, how a film on glass prevent the window from cracking. Not breaking through I can believe but not even cracking?? Doesnt make sense.

Yeah, I was just talking about this a couple of days ago on the E60 thread on security film. Just got myself a 525 and recalled the SA telling me that the car already has security film on the windows. Need to reconfirm tomorrow.
I've got ecotint films installed on my other car which can apparently withstand explosions ( not next to the car la) and bullets ( again, not fired from just outside the window). These 3m films are tough bastards. Just 4mm thick.
I think the glass will crack but will still be held up by the film after multiple whacks. That may be enough to discourage the bugger.

Mine was installed with WinGuard. It's a protective as well as a solar film (2 in 1).It was recomended by my SA when I brought mine from AB. Cost me about Rm2.3K for the whole car. Was told that it can withstand multiple blows from baseball bats or helmets.

I don't know the exact thickness of the film but it feels very thick though.

mikeyew;273169 said:
If you want peace of mind, then invest in a good satelite tracking device and with it, if kena hijack, at least you're assured very likely your car will be recovered later. Claiming insurance is a hassle and you won't get 100% of the value you paid for the car. Think about it buddy.......:rolleyes:

If they parked your stolen car :

a) in deep basement or

b) inside a metal container and close the doors......

will your satellite tracking device still work - as in can transmit anything out to pinpoint its location?

I was given the choice of security film versus V-Kool and I settled on V-Kool. I worry when I drop inside a river, no body and break my window and rescue me. They say windshield is spared from installing the security film, so break-able but I know breaking the windshield is easier to be said than done.

My only regrets is not putting V-Kool 40. Nowadays car jackers will select their victims before they bump into their rear. They will look for stickers like "Baby on board", "Pregnant lady inside", "leng lui on board" or look for single lady driver because they are easy prey. Nobody dare to bump into a V-Kool 40 car fearing the owner may carry a gun or a gang of taikor or something inside the car.

I know there's a Cobra system (forget the name) that cost about RM3k to install and annual fee of around RM1k to constantly monitor your vehicle. The moment u realised ur vehicle is missing, u can contact them to disable your vehicle and locate it based on both historical data and online signal. Yes, if its inside a building or in a container, no more signal but signal can be traced up to the moment they enter the container. Can put auto perimeter fencing too.. can set the moment the car leaves KL, shut off ignition or something. U can leave the keys inside the car but nobody can drive away the car.

U can call the call center to unlock your car and allow your friend to drive back the car from the airport or something.. very interesting technology..

Last week a couple went to Mt. Kiara for dinner in their E60 and end up with horror story to tell..

Hi Mikeyew, does the 2.3k Wingard includes security film on windscreen front and back as well?

Astroboy,
heard installing captor/tracking/GPS alarms may affect car electronics..or maybe its just isolated case. How's the experience of those who have installed these alarms or are they really that many? And what is their track record on recovery?

Understand the immobilizers that come with the cars will mean that only way the thieves can get hold and drive away the car is to get their hands on the keys. No keys no way supposedly. So, they will need to kidnap the owner and take them(us) for a ride around town until the car is "safely" on board the container.

So, what's the story on the Mt Kiara couple?

The joker unable to start the E60.. :D Can u believe it!! As I said, the owner might not be so lucky the next time. We should not discuss more on why the E60 cannot be started. Only the E60 owner know... there might be jacker among us trying to log in here to learn a thing or 2.

By the way, the owner suffered a cut on his neck while the parang was rested there. Didn't know if he wet his pants...

Also saw yesterday noon a blue E90 (WQH833) got bump from behind on the down slope of Bangsar facing Bikit Damansara. I was on the opposite road and it wasn't even raining. I can see its a single lady driver remain seated in the car. Few man was around talking on the cellphone. A black WAJA bumped her from the back and her rear bumper below left rear light badly dented. I am not sure it was an attemp to hijack.. :(

Anyone know the car owner? Is she okay

ASTRO - you should pull on opposite side SAFELY and just HORN like hell and pretend to be on PHONE! Maybe they will just bugger off!

Anyway, I am not blaming as I was not there but take is as a opinion/suggestion to help our fellow BMW friends.

astroboy;276113 said:
Nobody dare to bump into a V-Kool 40 car fearing the owner may carry a gun or a gang of taikor or something inside the car.

Errr, V-kool 40 is not that dark lah... It's only a bit darker, can still see inside, I'm on V-kool 40 on my door windows and rear windscreen, but V-kool 70 for front.

Zonefinder;276469 said:
Hi Mikeyew, does the 2.3k Wingard includes security film on windscreen front and back as well?

Astroboy,
heard installing captor/tracking/GPS alarms may affect car electronics..or maybe its just isolated case. How's the experience of those who have installed these alarms or are they really that many? And what is their track record on recovery?

Understand the immobilizers that come with the cars will mean that only way the thieves can get hold and drive away the car is to get their hands on the keys. No keys no way supposedly. So, they will need to kidnap the owner and take them(us) for a ride around town until the car is "safely" on board the container.

So, what's the story on the Mt Kiara couple?

Zonefinder, the WinGuard security film includes all 4 side windows plus rear window. The windscreen is not as it's already laminated - you can't break through anyway but there is an option to fit too if needed. But it's not advisable due to the above reason and also due to the thickness of the film, it affects the clarity of your vision.:cool:

Top Bottom