Brake upgrade

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Chrix

Club Guest
I tried to search, but it gives me a no results. I dont know if its cuz of the forum upgrade or what.I'm not talking bout regular BBK upgrades (like from brembo,ap,etc..). But rather calipers from other makes like wrx,supra,skyline calipers for our bimmers (specifically the e36 la).Every car I've owned underwent a brake upgrade the moment I got em, and I feel my 325 needs one too. my n00b question is, has anyone done this?, any tips or advise? thanks to all taiko's in BMC:rock:

actually u can mode e38 caliper on it cause it make by brembo my friend go a set for sell & currently on his e36 if you are interested with it just drop me a pm.

It's much easier to find donor calipers if you can match them to the stock rotors that fit E36. The best upgrade would be to use the E46 330 rotors (325mm x 25mm thickness) and match that to any other donor calipers you can find. At least this way the rotors will be cheap if you need to replace them.

Make sure you find a good machinist to fabricate the custom bracket for the calipers.

good luck.

I find the 330's braking system pretty good, stopping power makes a BIG diff compared to the 328/325. I simply enjoy just looking at those fat disc's. Using after market Brembo on another car, not impressed! The 330 has the comfort factor even at high speed braking. Or maybe its the car. :)

quick question(s): recently I heard sounds like 'yee, yeee... (like metal brushing to each other)' everytime I push on the brake. What happened actually? Do I need to service my brake pad/disc? Should I be worried by now? The brake pad sensor didn't come on (meaning the brake pad is ok?). My ride is an e46 318i MSport Yr2003. Should I upgrade the brake pad/disc to e46 330 like Lionel suggested? What is/are the differences? Roughly how much will it cost BTW? Thx for d comments in advance for helping the newbie.

I read over at some bimmer forums that the brake balance will be thrown off if we e36'ers upgrade to e46 330 front brakes without doing the rears as well. Is it that bad?

Whats the price for the complete set of caliper & disc from the e46 330?

I do know that rx7 calipers fit e30 but I do not have a much knowledge when it comes to e36 brakes.
You may run into wheel fitment issues with bbk. Better find out first that the bbk set has enough clrearence for your wheels.

With a custom bracket anything can fit. Like I said before the biggest headache is finding a rotor that has the same fitment to your hub and is the correct size for the donor caliper. I've seen E30/E36 with Nissan 4 pot calipers before. The same E30 even has the 2 pot caliper in the rear.

With money and a little bit of research anything can be done :)

Nissan calipers seem like a good choice, but how about the ABS? Also, assuming using a non-bmw caliper, can it be mated to our stock disc (crossed & vented)? any drawbacks because of the size?

Chrix;585440 said:
Nissan calipers seem like a good choice, but how about the ABS? Also, assuming using a non-bmw caliper, can it be mated to our stock disc (crossed & vented)? any drawbacks because of the size?

You'll need to know the size of the original rotor for the non-bmw caliper you're using then from there you can match it with BMW rotors. The E46 330 rotors (325mm x 25mm) seems to fit a variety of 4-pot caliper from other cars so they're the best option.

e46_UDM;584065 said:
quick question(s): recently I heard sounds like 'yee, yeee... (like metal brushing to each other)' everytime I push on the brake. What happened actually? Do I need to service my brake pad/disc? Should I be worried by now? The brake pad sensor didn't come on (meaning the brake pad is ok?). My ride is an e46 318i MSport Yr2003. Should I upgrade the brake pad/disc to e46 330 like Lionel suggested? What is/are the differences? Roughly how much will it cost BTW? Thx for d comments in advance for helping the newbie.

Hows the condition of your disc's?

Chrix;586023 said:
Hows the condition of your disc's?

I can clearly see a 'ring' on my disc (sorry for this ameture comment). No sure when is the last time the previous onwer service/change the brake pad/disc. Any help would be very much appreciated. thx.

e46_UDM;586029 said:
I can clearly see a 'ring' on my disc (sorry for this ameture comment). No sure when is the last time the previous onwer service/change the brake pad/disc. Any help would be very much appreciated. thx.

A ring? Could you post a picture? You mean there's a deep indentation on the rotor itself, like a small line that goes all around the rotor?

loafer;586035 said:
A ring? Could you post a picture? You mean there's a deep indentation on the rotor itself, like a small line that goes all around the rotor?

yup. that is what I meant. sounds very bad hmm.... :29: :18: :saint: It's time to change.... e46 330... :39:

Those are probably caused by foreign objects being lodged onto your brake pads. I don't think they affect your braking system in any way though. I have those lines in both my front and rear rotors and they're working fine.

You could try skimming your brake pads for the sound though.

Alright I knew I wanted to ask this question,but somehow it slipped my mind.

For those who upgrade to BBK or even non-BMW caliper upgrade/replacements.. how does it effect the ABS and related sensors? Things like the pad sensor, is the on-board computer gonna go nuts or faults?

Chrix;587241 said:
Alright I knew I wanted to ask this question,but somehow it slipped my mind.

For those who upgrade to BBK or even non-BMW caliper upgrade/replacements.. how does it effect the ABS and related sensors? Things like the pad sensor, is the on-board computer gonna go nuts or faults?

My brake pad sensors still work but there needed to be some rewiring since the socket from the donor BBK doesn't fit our BMW ones. Basically just need to mate the wiring together and it'll be fine. ABS should still work but I've yet to test it :p.

Top Bottom