brake sound

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

afza

Club Guest
Is it normal for a E39 528 to have a metal to metal screeching sound when applying soft braking but without any sound when hard braking ?Or is it because the brake disc is still cold or is it because the disc is bended ?Advise is hereby sought. TQ.

Did you check if your brake pads are still good - what I mean is that it is not worn down to the metal plates (no more friction material left)?

Oh yess.....no problem with the pads. Could it be because they are not warmed up yet ?

Apparently this problem will arise if the brakes have been used in only soft braking situations for too long. I would like to think as the brakes need abuse in order to function properly.

I recently had this problem. Then I went to do bed in of the brake and it has been solved; no embarrassing sound for the past 4 days. You might want to try it if you are sure your brake pad/disc are in proper order. But please do it safely. Find an empty space.

1. Acc. to 100km/h.
2. Hard brake to 10-20km/h (your abs might kick in)
3. Do this 10 times in rapid succession; don't allow the brake to cool down.
4. Once done, step on your brake lightly and drive around as fast as your can safely while the brakes cool down. (I just pressed the brake lightly and could feel the resistance but I still managed to go at 60-80km/h with no problem)

Then go back to 1-4 and do it one more time. This is the second set.

You should be done after that.

But **please please do this safely**.

Originally posted by afza@Jan 5 2006, 09:49 AM
Will try...

Thanks. :yes:
One more thing,

don't pull your handbrake or water them while the brakes are hot. You don't want warp the rotors.

If all that does not solve your problem, get your mechanic to chamfer (i.e., grind the edges at 45 degree to brake pad surface) the edges of the brake pads.

Top Bottom