Brake discs skimming

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

c-square

Club Guest
Any recommendation of workshops that have skimming facility and does a reasonably good job? How much does it costs anyway?

Just skimmed all of my 4 discs...RM25/pc. I waited & observed how the discs were skimmed..seems like he done a GOOD job on the discs..

Most workshops subcontract out skimming jobs. I got my father's Toyota's discs skimmed vide a workshop named United Motor in Sunway (PJS7 area). It's next door to Garang Racing. Workmanship was good. Cannot recall the price exactly but I think it was around RM30 per disc.

Bear in mind that skimming your discs makes them thinner and there's a marking on the disc to show the limit beyond which skimming is not recommended. For BMWs, brake discs are regular wear and tear items like brake pads and hence require more frequent replacement compared to Japanese cars which almost never require brake disc replacement unless the same is damaged or warped and is beyond skimming.

Ced, fyi dis topic dicussed b4 in other threads. U may wan to run a chk for mor info. :D

Originally posted by c-square@Apr 3 2006, 08:35 PM
Any recommendation of workshops that have skimming facility and does a reasonably good job? How much does it costs anyway?

Empat-segi ..

If it's for ur BMW - dun laa skim ... Get new ones ..
U know laa how sensitive BMW is. Sometimes, after skim - vibrate worr ..
Ended up buying new oso ...

Originally posted by wan520i@Apr 3 2006, 09:41 PM
Just skimmed all of my 4 discs...RM25/pc. I waited & observed how the discs were skimmed..seems like he done a GOOD job on the discs..
Wan.... where is the location of the shop?

c-square....dude,i strongly dont recommend skimming ur discs lah...

like 535i said,after a while things will crop up like vibrations etc and end of the day u still got to get a new set...

rgds,
-brad-

Originally posted by chairoger@Apr 4 2006, 02:41 PM
The discs aint that expensive. Better safe than sorry. :)
If I recall correctly, AB charged me more for brake pads compared to brake discs!

Top Bottom