blur headlamps n spot lights

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chewkies

Club Guest
Hi,Anybody know where i can get me blurred headlamps n spotlights cleaned/serviced to give it back that clean shiny look?Thanks

Yeah, I wanna know too. Mine's an E46. Both headlights are original factory-fitted since new, but only the driver's side headlight's lens has gone somewhat dull.

wglee,

your headlense is made out of perspex/plastic. so its normal that it turns dull after a few years exposed to the elements and UV rays.

if its not that badly blured out, you can try polishing it wth some scratch removing or rubbing compound ie:- meguires scratchX, or equavalent to remove the oxidized layer. then as a final step, get the headlense tinted with a protective film like 3M's stoneguard or Ilumar's barrier film to protect it againts the elements and UV rays.

I have just done mine, e39. Now looks BRAND NEW. Honest. I used this guy who advertised on Motortrader. He comes with a team of 2 others who takes about 1.5 hours to restore the lights to its original condition. He charged me RM 200 per pair of lights. The only thing is that you need to book him in advance AND you need to remind him and re-confirm with him on the day. Make sure you book a time too. He is in high demand and soon will get some sweet contracts from used car dealers as it works and so much cheaper than buying new ones. You wanna get his number, PM me. I think I am not allowed to post phone numbers in public right? His name is Suresh.

I gotta call him to get some commissions for this! *LOL

leforte said:
wglee,

your headlense is made out of perspex/plastic. so its normal that it turns dull after a few years exposed to the elements and UV rays.

if its not that badly blured out, you can try polishing it wth some scratch removing or rubbing compound ie:- meguires scratchX, or equavalent to remove the oxidized layer. then as a final step, get the headlense tinted with a protective film like 3M's stoneguard or Ilumar's barrier film to protect it againts the elements and UV rays.

Thank you for your advice, leforte.

I did try scratch removing compound but unfortunately there has been no improvement. I suspect the degradation of the lens surface is from behind ie. within the headlight enclosure, rather than the external surface area.:(

azwanb said:
I have just done mine, e39. Now looks BRAND NEW. Honest. I used this guy who advertised on Motortrader. He comes with a team of 2 others who takes about 1.5 hours to restore the lights to its original condition. He charged me RM 200 per pair of lights. The only thing is that you need to book him in advance AND you need to remind him and re-confirm with him on the day. Make sure you book a time too. He is in high demand and soon will get some sweet contracts from used car dealers as it works and so much cheaper than buying new ones. You wanna get his number, PM me. I think I am not allowed to post phone numbers in public right? His name is Suresh.

I gotta call him to get some commissions for this! *LOL

yea azwanb, i oso used suresh services and i m indeed a satisfied customer. he did if for my w210 facelifted, therefore cant change the outside cover only must change the whole unit...

95% clear....save me rm1200 to change to a new set...ps he got a very nice and easy number to remember...

pm me for his contact...

However, be sure that it is economically viable to engage Suresh's services at RM200.00 per pair.

For example, an OEM E46 lens only costs RM110.00 each (RM150.00 for original BMW lens) plus RM30.00 for the gasket and maybe RM80.00 for labour to intall the new lens.

Some may accordingly prefer to opt for the lens replacement route, but because the headlights have to be removed from the car to do the lens replacement job, there is also the fear that this may cause brittle plastic appendages holding the lamp assembly together to break, not to mention water leakage/condensation problems if the lens replacement job is not done properly.

hi mr tombstone, would u kindly pass me the contact nos of mr suresh, really in need of his services,Thnks a million..:)

FreeZ;559594 said:
hi mr tombstone, would u kindly pass me the contact nos of mr suresh, really in need of his services,Thnks a million..:)

Bro why not pm him since he did mention if any one looking for the contact just pm him.

Dear Forumers,

I believe only the plastic headlamp covers can be refurbished eg E 46 and M benz 210 models.This is because they will remove a layer of the dull plastic and leave behind a fresh clear layer.

As for glass covers eg E36 I believe you cant get rid of the dullness , scratches etc except by changing the cover/lens.

Cheers

evra

Hi everyone here. May i know anyone can introduce someone can restore the blur or a bit yellowish headlamp for my coming e39? Hope a reasonable price of the shop or anyone can help me on this. I have asked around some shop to do it but the charges are high....:( hope bro here can help enlighten me..thanks again:)

tkm;562776 said:
Hi everyone here. May i know anyone can introduce someone can restore the blur or a bit yellowish headlamp for my coming e39? Hope a reasonable price of the shop or anyone can help me on this. I have asked around some shop to do it but the charges are high....:( hope bro here can help enlighten me..thanks again:)

Please take sometime to go through here http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44 and you will your amswer.

'As for glass covers eg E36 I believe you cant get rid of the dullness , scratches etc except by changing the cover/lens.'

Are you sure you can't? Sigh....

Some have tried tooth-paste (non-gel type) and believe it or not Peanut Butter. Seriously, I am going to try this weekend on my E46 FL.

Top Bottom