Arm Rest

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

snchin

Club Guest
Need some info. Anybody experienced their car’s arm rest rubbing against their front seats? The sound of the leather rubbing can be quite irritating. I’ve applied meguiars on it…but it only helps a bit. Still can hear the sound. Sigh…Me driving a E36 325.

I'm having the same problems. But it only happens when there's someone on the passenger seat. What I do is adjust the seat to the back a little and then bring it back forward. The noise will be reduced.....at least temporarily. I supposed it only happens to retrofitted armrests (factory fitted ones i.e. post 97 E36 models doesn't give that problem).

Perhaps applying some extra slippery lubricant may help? NXT Tech Wax? :D

i dont think mine was retrofitted...not sure..
the leather isn't standard though. It might because when the leather was done, it was a bit too 'fat'? causing the sides to rub...just guessing..
i also tried johnson's baby lotion...i know...sounds crazy...but it helped a bit too...

maybe if i change the armrest to upholstery instead of leather...think it will help?

Could be because your leather is new too. When I had fabric seats, no problems.

Sure ah? Fabric armrest won't look good lah....I'm sure there's another way....

i also know fabric arm rests wont match the rest of the interior..but what to do...

I dont think my leather is new lah...came with the car when bought it bout 10 months ago

sometimes i also feel it is the plastics that is holding the arm rest itself...kinda flimsy..tempted to take it apart and put it back to get a better fit...what do you reckon?

I have 97 E36 with arm rest. The sound is there all the time. It is factory fitted, i think.

Anyways, to solve the problem, I use Vaseline. Problem solved. No noise. But, you will need to constantly apply it every 1 or 2 weeks. Vaseline is petroleum jelly, harmless to leathers, I think. Well, nothing happened to my leather anyway.

Cheap and very easy to apply. Can get it in any shop that sells toiletries.

Originally posted by evangel@Dec 30 2004, 02:33 PM
I have 97 E36 with arm rest. The sound is there all the time. It is factory fitted, i think.

Anyways, to solve the problem, I use Vaseline. Problem solved. No noise. But, you will need to constantly apply it every 1 or 2 weeks. Vaseline is petroleum jelly, harmless to leathers, I think. Well, nothing happened to my leather anyway.

Cheap and very easy to apply. Can get it in any shop that sells toiletries.
Is it oily? :eek:

I know a simple solution.
Remove the armrest. Chuck it out and give it to me. Problem solved.

:D

affan,

banyak cantik....:p

evangel,

wont vaseline be very messy and oily?

snchin,

u have to ask those using vaseline religiously.
i don't want to be found with vaseline in my car. heheh

Originally posted by Daredevil@Dec 30 2004, 03:03 PM
Is it oily? :eek:
not so if you just apply it at the part where the arm rest is touching the seat. I thought u wanted to buy an arm rest, DD? U got it already? I guess so, otherwise you wouldn't be talking about it here! :D

Vaseline will dry out the leather in the long run. Try this, BABY OIL, seriously, some of the owners here have tried this age old secret and it works wonders!

Lather on a generous amount and let it soak for about 30 mis then buff it dry with a clean towel!

Originally posted by jarance@Dec 31 2004, 03:21 PM
How about KY? It should work as well...
KY? Vaseline? Baby Oil? hmmmmm.....sure u guys r takin bout arm rest???

snchin,

I am being kind to you. Trying to give you a solution which will be a win-win situation for you and me.

Harge, arm rest la.. What else you think are talking about? Arm float?

gents....guess what? baby oil does work!!! thanks DD.

Another thing i noticed that's making noise is the actual housing of the arm rest. When the seats push against the side, they can creak. What I did was to take apart the plastics, and place some double sided tape to sort of like cushion it. Now, it's much quieter.

Have to be careful when removing the plastic housing. U will need to remove the rear ash tray in order to do so too.

Originally posted by snchin@Jan 2 2005, 11:28 PM
You should thank Kevster. It was his idea of using Baby Oil.

Glad it worked! :D I'm gonna give it a try soon...

Originally posted by snchin@Jan 2 2005, 11:28 PM
You should thank Kevster. It was his idea of using Baby Oil.

Glad it worked! :D I'm gonna give it a try soon...

Top Bottom