Any rally fans here?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fabianyee

Founding Member
If any of us are interested to have a feel of rallying, MAM (Motorsports Association of Malaysia) and WSM (WheelSpin Event Management) are organising Rally X and Rally Sprints events throughout 2009. RallyX - beginner short gravel or tarmac stages. Minimum requirement : 4 point harness for driver. Navigator not required, roll cage not required. Rally Sprint - intermediate gravel or tarmac stages. Car needs to be rally prep ie roll cage, fire extinguisher etc. eoj and I took part in the just concluded 2009 MAM RallySprint Round 1. eoj drove while I was the co-driver. Sudut was also one of the participants. yen42 was oso there as a spectator. http://www.mam.org.my/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1234758887&archive=&start_from=&ucat=14&Monday, February 16, 2009 - The Sepang International Circuit is now also a heaven for rally enthusiasts. This was proven when a RallySprint event, the product of a collaboration between the Motorsport Association of Malaysia (MAM) and SIC was successfully held on the 15th of February. Mia Sharizman Ismail, Chief Executive of MAM and Razlan Razali, Chief Executive Officer of SIC were present to witness the event. Attracting 29 entries, round 1 of this entry level rally series saw new and experienced teams compete in various categories. Participants kept their cool in the hot and dusty conditions to tackle the 12 Special Stage (SS) rally without any major mishaps and kept spectators entertained with an aggressive style of driving that is unique to rallying. Former Malaysian Rally champion Gunaseelan Rajoo of Team GSR-Pennzoil driving a Mitsubishi Evolution 9 took the early lead with upcoming rally star James Russell of Team Scuderia SR keeping him in check in his Subaru Impreza GC8. Impressively keeping up with the experienced teams was Teoh Joe Meng who only after two previous entry-level rallies, is proving to be a future rally star in his own right. “The gearbox in my Mitsubishi Evolution 3 rally car was giving me some problems so I opted not to push too hard but I am happy with my results and will be back to improve on them” said Teoh who used the services of popular Autocross driver Fabian Yee as his navigator. With more than half the field filled up with teams with little or no previous rally experience, this event has made good its label of being an ideal rally to get started in. “Our primary objective is to create a budget friendly rally series which is just right for those who want to get started in this exciting sport and also for those who have little experience to polish up on their skills and after talking to some of the teams it is safe to say we have achieved that objective” said Mia Sharizman, Chief Executive of MAM. UMW Pennzoils General Manager Encik Ruslan Abdul Ghani said ‘Pennzoil has always been supporting motorsports event especially rallying since 2005. In every aspect of taking care of one’s car, Pennzoil is a definite choice for the performance buff, we look forward to take home the championship trophy this season too. We are also looking forward to nurture our new 'GSR PENNZOIL RACING'S JUNIOR TEAM' which consists of four young talents to help this series work better for everyone’. The four competitors benefitted from the 2008 MAM Rally X Series under the Junior Team Programme are Mohd Sallehudin, Mohd Shazly Illias, Kenneth Koh and A.Mahendran. We will also be looking out for more talents this year. Sepang International Circuit’s involvement with rallying mirrors that of the legendary Batu Tiga Racing Circuit which organized the first ever RallySprint series for one season in 1996. “My first rally as a driver was at the first ever RallySprint event held at Batu Tiga 13 years ago and now, thanks mainly to MAM and SIC, I have the honour of organizing the first ever RallySprint event at SIC. Words alone cannot express how much that means to me personally” said event director Jagjeet Singh whose organization, WheelSpin Event Management, organises entry-level rally events with MAM. As the next step in Malaysia’s Rally ladder after the hugely popular MAM Rally X series, teams who ‘graduate’ from the RallySprint series are then further educated on the do’s and don’ts of higher level rallying before being led to the Malaysian Rally Championship series where MAM provides financial assistance to selected entrants. Supporting this event through participation and sponsorship are Pennzoil Lubricants, Perodua, Proton R3, One Communications, Dura-Edge wipers and The Otomotif College (TOC). Among the media Partners for this event are The Malay Mail, On The Road magazine, Hypertune magazine and The Star. Prepared by WheelSpin Event Management
Here's an on-board video with eoj driving.Ex-PERT EVO 3
os%2Bpert1.jpg
Even Mini Rallye oso got
os%2Bmini1.jpg
Gunaseelan Rajoo's EVO 9 won the Rally Sprint easily.
474385075_Ytggx-L.jpg
Photos courtesy of OSFlanker who braved the dust storm for the shots.

Gone are the days where rally was fun and interesting. You need com licence to.Use to being in rally from 1985 to 1992. Rally of malaysia use to have 120cars entering the rally. All when bad because of bad orgerniser. Now days involve in 4x4 rally. Would be nice to join rally again.

redbaron;397116 said:
Gone are the days where rally was fun and interesting. You need com licence to.Use to being in rally from 1985 to 1992. Rally of malaysia use to have 120cars entering the rally. All when bad because of bad orgerniser. Now days involve in 4x4 rally. Would be nice to join rally again.

MAM is making motorsport cheaper now... got my comp license for RM125 only.. And they are supporting a lot of events. The Rally Sprint held last weekend has 29 entries.. More than what the organiser had anticipated.

MAM and AAM same thing different baju. Any way nice to see young blood making a return to rally. Guna is part of the sponsor for the event. Penzoil is there because of him. may be will drop by or enter the next round if manage to get a car.

wah! this is fun...but along the way i left my balls behind somewhere...so thnx but no thnx...

XXX;397125 said:
wah! this is fun...but along the way i left my balls behind somewhere...so thnx but no thnx...

Your balls are now on LDP lio.. :p Mine too.. :listen:

Also a rally fan, now no car for rallying anymore. Sometimes I only follow my brother in-law who participates in car park rally (autokhana). Pinjam his car (satria GTI) he..he..he lepas gianlah

Lost my b*lls way back then... and with the current ecnomic situation, cannot afford the sport....

Fabian and eoj with the ex-PERT Evo 3, which finished 3rd overall :

475138149_Gfhyp-M.jpg

475137292_f2DGH-M.jpg

The Pert Evo 3 in action :

475141680_MShoh-M.jpg

475144005_wHmYG-M.jpg

2 things I noticed.....

- Fabian, u developing a tummy lar....

- I know its damm hot in car but then what happens if u all roll ( choi choi ) and fire starts? I dun agree with non fire proof attire in racing cars......solly.

Jules;397445 said:
2 things I noticed.....

- Fabian, u developing a tummy lar....

- I know its damm hot in car but then what happens if u all roll ( choi choi ) and fire starts? I dun agree with non fire proof attire in racing cars......solly.

Uncle Jules, as you know rally drivers are nut cases so it's part of the "living dangerously" psych to drive without fireproof overalls. Co-drivers are even worse, since they voluntarily let themselves become passengers in a car driven by known nut cases. This put them in the lunatic category.

wrc is only made of two teams now...ford and citroen....and the champion is sebastian loeb again, not that i hate loeb, he's my fave driver, but then...haiz

redbaron;397143 said:
Glee also retired la bro.

you are right bro.. need to spend more time with my family la. rally and motorsports used to take up the majority of my time, but no longer la. maybe once in a while, i'll come out with my bimmer for autox or some trackdays. ;)

btw, theres an E28 abandoned right in front of my office on the industrial park side for some months now, has some slight accident damage to the front. its in front of that building that used to be a big body repair shop.

fabian, nice to see that you have now officially joined the ranks of lunatic (co-driver), or dumbo, or idiot... ballast...etc.

Top Bottom