any cure 4 -ve camber?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

pcm32

Club Guest
bro's & sis'I'm driving E34 525i (A) 1990 .... when I use 17" rim , the inner side of my rear wheel wear out easily ... I'm using yokohama 215 / 60. After a few mths it wear out badly n make the ride shaking/ wobble at 80 to 90 kmh...now I've change back to my old 15" tsw rim which give better ride....pls advice me b'cos I sayang my 17"....beautiful ....

abang,
i am on 235/45/17 and there is no escaping inner side tyre wear on the e34.to ensure even wear,i dismount the tyre and remount inner side out every 10,000kms.

Yup same here .. Al said u hv to check ur trailing arm bush.
Hv done mine .. but still -ve camber ...

So .. cross the tires lorrr ... 235/45/17 mmg makan dalam punya laa .. somemore using 17 x 8 1/2 in rims ...

Yup there is no real 'cure' for the tyre makan inside for the E34. It is by design that yr E34 has -ve camber for handling reasons so when you fit bigger rims & tyres or lower the car, the -ve camber will be more pronounced. I have heard of people 'pumping' to resolve the -ve camber but its not recommended and also apparently even by pumping eventually the camber will return to its normal state so its basically an interim solution.

Seeing your car is a 1990, you may want to check all suspension bushings for wear and tear coz a worn or torn bushing can make the camber worst. My car is a 1990 too and I recently renewed all my rear suspension bushings including axel carrier bush, trailing arm bush, axel mount & pitman arm bush and I was surprised to find that it helped a lot with the camber. Obviously my bushings were pretty worn down and some were even torn.

On top of that like moots suggestion, do tire rotation (dismount and remount inner side out) every 10k min to even out the wear a little. Nothing beats the handling and looks of a 17'' so don't let the 17'' lay around in the garage, put it to good use. :rolleyes:

I have been using the 17in rims and tires for more than a year now, I seriously do not notice the tire wear to be an issue. As I said, check all the bushes. :)

Firstly, does it wear out on one wheel only or 2 wheels? Mine wears out on the left side only. The other wheel also has some wear but mostly negligable. I visited my regular alignment guy today and here's what we found.

My right side was within tolerable specifications while my left side was about -0.3 degrees over the original specifications thus causing pronounced wear on one side. By default factory spec, one side will have more -VE camber than the other but my left side was above the limit.

What to do? Got to jack it I guess. Anybody attempted a jacking?

Originally posted by ehoe@Jan 31 2005, 04:10 AM
Yup there is no real 'cure' for the tyre makan inside for the E34. It is by design that yr E34 has -ve camber for handling reasons so when you fit bigger rims & tyres or lower the car, the -ve camber will be more pronounced. I have heard of people 'pumping' to resolve the -ve camber but its not recommended and also apparently even by pumping eventually the camber will return to its normal state so its basically an interim solution.

Seeing your car is a 1990, you may want to check all suspension bushings for wear and tear coz a worn or torn bushing can make the camber worst. My car is a 1990 too and I recently renewed all my rear suspension bushings including axel carrier bush, trailing arm bush, axel mount & pitman arm bush and I was surprised to find that it helped a lot with the camber. Obviously my bushings were pretty worn down and some were even torn.

On top of that like moots suggestion, do tire rotation (dismount and remount inner side out) every 10k min to even out the wear a little. Nothing beats the handling and looks of a 17'' so don't let the 17'' lay around in the garage, put it to good use. :rolleyes:
hi dude just want to know how much u spend for that bush?

if you car wobbles or shakes violently only at 80-90km/h, i suggest you check the propeller shaht bearing. I've got the similar problem since i bought my E34. Replaced every single bush and arm, still shakes, replaced all 4 rotors, still shakes, replaced the rims and tires, stilllllllllllllllll shakes!!!! Damn!!! Finally, the propellar shaft bearing, walla! problem sloved!!! i.e after spending about 18K!

Originally posted by CAJ19@Jan 31 2005, 06:45 AM
if you car wobbles or shakes violently only at 80-90km/h, i suggest you check the propeller shaht bearing. I've got the similar problem since i bought my E34. Replaced every single bush and arm, still shakes, replaced all 4 rotors, still shakes, replaced the rims and tires, stilllllllllllllllll shakes!!!! Damn!!! Finally, the propellar shaft bearing, walla! problem sloved!!! i.e after spending about 18K!
The lesson is "go for reliable workshop"......so sad to hear that u spend 18k to solved that problemmmmmm.....

-ve is what made the car stable at the corners....
My E30 is running -2.2 up front on 195/60/15 tyres, but it handles like it's on rails compared to the stock -1.5.

Of cos the wear on a 17 inch tyres would be more pronounced due to lower and stiffer sidewall.

Heard about an E30 owner went to 'pump' his rear to get almost 0 camber.. after that, the car cant keep steady on high speed. so he ended up replacing the 2 arms at the rear...

Fabian,

I can vouch for that. A friend of mine running on 17", gatal, go and pump to get 0 degree .. Ended up replacing both arms ...

Originally posted by fabianyee@Jan 31 2005, 02:15 PM
Heard about an E30 owner went to 'pump' his rear to get almost 0 camber.. after that, the car cant keep steady on high speed. so he ended up replacing the 2 arms at the rear...
Pump to 0 cambers :blink: :blink:

Goodness gracious me! An here i am trying to in crease -ve camber for my E30

Originally posted by Lionel_Koh@Jan 31 2005, 05:30 AM

hi dude just want to know how much u spend for that bush?
[/quote]
Well I happen to be in kiasu land on the long weekend so I bought all the bushings there so its slightly cheaper than buying it in KL. Here is what I replaced :

1) Axel carrier arm bush (x2)
2) Trailing arm bush (x4)
3) Axel mount (x1)

In total I spend approx RM360 for parts alone not including labour to fix.

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jan 31 2005, 04:17 AM
I have been using the 17in rims and tires for more than a year now, I seriously do not notice the tire wear to be an issue. As I said, check all the bushes. :)
yup, bundy's right... on my car no problem.. make sure all your bushes are ok.. tip-top condition..

regards.

Top Bottom