Air-con filter

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

racheltoh

Club Guest
At what mileage do we change the air-con filter?2. Maintenance every time includes coolant refill?Bf is at 60k mileage n air-con suddenly not cold anymore :(

Rachel,

1. Aircon got no filter. Do you mean the dryer? I presume you mean the micro filter for the AHU (Air Handling Unit). You change it when the air flow from the duct is reduced when the airblower is at maximum speed. Some people just removed it and give it a blow with compressed air. Anyway, relative cheap to replace it.

2. Dont top up the radiator coolant. Drain and replace it on a yearly basis. This will help to reduce the built-up of whitish residual in the radiator and chocked up the thermostat. Again relatively cheap item to do.

3. As regards to the aircon not cold, check the gas pressure first at any aircon shop.

1. The aircond filter a.k.a. microfilter when clogged, only restrict air flow and u will need to crank up the blower fan speed to get decent flow from the aircond vent BUT it shouldn't affect the 'coldness' of the flow. In fact, when the flow slowed down by the clogged microfilter, the air spent longer time passing the cooling coil which resulting in more effective heat transfer, hence air flow from the vent feels cooler. In summary, if the air flow from the vent remain strong, your microfilter not clogged. On the side note. we cheapskate folks will take out the microfilter, use compressed air gun from workshop blow the filter trying to clean it from dust and residual, then pasang balik.. :p

2. They should but doubt they check because most trust the coolant level sensor. When coolant low, u get warning indicator on your dash, just like engine oil. So not to worry..

At 60k, you should seriously consider replacing ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and if possible the ATF filter as well, if you have not done so. I replaced my ATF at 40k km, next will be at 80k km, then only I replace ATM filter.

So possibly is the gas pressure that is not giving the coldness?
It happened very sudden. Was driving n suddenly, instead of cold air flowing..it was warm. Then I turn it off n switch on again..cold for sometime, maybe 10 mins n went back to warm...

racheltoh;595248 said:
So possibly is the gas pressure that is not giving the coldness?
It happened very sudden. Was driving n suddenly, instead of cold air flowing..it was warm. Then I turn it off n switch on again..cold for sometime, maybe 10 mins n went back to warm...

This problem is due to chocked microfilter. Not enough air flow thru the cooling coil and it freeze up. thus prevent cold air
to pass thru the AHU.

suggest to set the temperature to about 23degC as temporary countermeasure while waiting for the microfilter to be change or clean.

Aircond compressor RM5k.. :p David Yong's 325i replace before..

To confirm if its microfilter or not, go swap with another E90. If it works, just buy the other fella a new microfilter, if not, then tukar balik lor.. :p :)

Ingress changes my aircond microfilter at each BSRI visit. Just did one last week and they changed the microfilter, air filter and wiper blades.

Schwepps;595295 said:
Ingress changes my aircond microfilter at each BSRI visit. Just did one last week and they changed the microfilter, air filter and wiper blades.

Our pre-LCI no more BSRI liao.. *sob*sob.. I gather yours expiring soon.. :p Dun forget the brake fluid too, our DSC/ABS pump very sensitive and easily fail when fluid dirty.

I still have one vehicle check coming up before BSRI expires in May. :wink: Brake fluid has been changed, but I can't get the brake pads changed because there's still too much left, and it's not something you can 'convince' them to change. But I suppose the pads aren't too expensive.

Mine will expire in March. Then have to use some goda good communications skills to get it under good will.

Btw, i m worried cos I know every BSRI, Reshi will ensure the car is in good mode. So now...possible air compressor koyak? couldn't be cos there is still cold air..but just for a short while. filter..maybe very dirty n needs change? I did service my car about 2-3 months back...and drove less than 6k...

If you're still under BSRI, then what are you waiting for girl? Take it in...

Try to get them to change as many things as possible before it expires. Be imaginative. Eg: "My wipers leave streaks when it's raining." :wink:

astroboy;595329 said:
Our pre-LCI no more BSRI liao.. *sob*sob.. I gather yours expiring soon.. :p Dun forget the brake fluid too, our DSC/ABS pump very sensitive and easily fail when fluid dirty.

What is the interval to change brake fluid ? every 20k km ?

The official BSRI interval is every 2 years. That's about the correct lower limit of effectiveness of brake fluid because it deteriorates over time.

Top Bottom