Air Asia

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

publicbus

Club Guest
Got this article from another car forum. Worth reading. Interesting though to know what have taken place in Malaysia itself. Look at the many obstacles it has to go through and will go through in the future.... Great job Tony.I wondered how would Tony run Proton.... Asian budget airline in long-haul move By Jonathan Kent BBC News, Kuala Lumpur Air Asia plane Air Asia wants to bring the cost of long-haul flights down The low-cost airline model which has revolutionised travel in Europe, the US and lately Asia may be about to go global. The biggest no-frills carrier in the East - Air Asia - has announced the launch of a sister company to ferry travellers between its hubs in South East Asia and Europe, primarily the UK. "We're going to really bring down costs on the long-haul product [in a way] that was never deemed feasible," Air Asia's chief executive Tony Fernandes told the BBC. "I think that will allow us to offer fares to London from $80 to $450 (?1 to ?31) return," he said. 'One class product' Mr Fernandes announced on Friday that the carrier, which expects to carry some 18 million passengers around South-East Asia this year, would launch a new airline under its banner to do what many believe is unfeasible. "It's going to be a one class product," explained Mr Fernandes. "It may have some rows of seats that are nice but you pay for that." "We're not going to have business class lounges and separate check-in counters, but some people may be prepared to pay a little more for extra legroom." The first route is likely to be between Malaysia's under-utilised air hub outside Kuala Lumpur and the UK. Expansion Mr Fernandes says he is not wedded to the idea of flying to a London airport but would rather go for whichever offers the best deal. But from there he sees enormous room for expansion. "I think there is huge potential in Europe, China, India, Australia, the Middle East, Japan, Korea and one day the US but that's not in out immediate plans." Both regions have a diversity that appeals to tourists. Tony Fernandes, chief executive Air Asia Mr Fernandes believes in risk taking Asians are as enthralled by the prospect of strolling past Big Ben on a cold rainy day as Europeans are of sipping cocktails on white coral sand beaches in January. The traffic will surely be two-way, he says. The Air Asia announcement follows the launch a few weeks ago of a low-cost London to Hong Kong service by new operator Oasis. However, the Malaysian based airline is already well established. When it launched in December 2001 it had three aircraft. Now it has 50 and is waiting for another 85 units of the A320 model from Airbus. Barriers But what distinguishes Air Asia, beyond being a market leader, is its rather un-Asian combative approach. When it started out, Air Asia found itself up against politicians who saw it as a threat to the country's flag carrier Malaysia Airlines. Three years ago when it launched its first international service to Thailand's Phuket island, a former tourism minister told Mr Fernandes his firm should to stick to domestic services. Barriers were put up. Malaysia's government would not give its blessing for the airline to fly Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok. In response, the budget carrier simply set up a Thai arm and went into partnership with Shin Corporation, a company linked to the country's former Premier, Thaksin Shinawatra. The Thai authorities subsequently approved the route. Now it flies all around South East Asia as well as to China. Risk taking Mr Fernandes assessment of the role of the entrepreneur in forging new markets is blunt: "It's about having balls". We're making the hard decisions that many wouldn't have done, on the firm belief that people will be driven by low fares Tony Fernandes, chief executive, Air Asia He acknowledges that the new venture involves considerable risks. There is a big difference between being prepared to save a few dollars on a three-hour trip across Europe or Asia and enduring 14 hours across eight time zones in a cramped seat, along with scores of other potentially grumpy and frustrated passengers. Air Asia has created a new market and won a legion of fans in Asia. But there have also been many complaints in the local media about delayed flights and other problems, that could be amplified on a long haul route. Mr Fernandes remains undeterred: "We're making the hard decisions that many wouldn't have done, on the firm belief that people will be driven by low fares." The success of the new venture will no doubt rest on how would-be passengers weigh convenience and comfort against price when flying half way round the world. The rest of the industry will be taking note.

I'm sure Air Asia and/or Tony will be or perhaps are already case study in some MBA classes.

Last year I had 100% flight delay experience with AirAsia, with several hrs kind of delay on domestic flights. In 2007 so far I've taken 3 AirAsia flights, all take off on the dot so that's good start for the new year.

Now, I wish Air Asia will add the following destinations: Istanbul, Xi An, Athens, Kunming, ...

no stock on maggi mee...thats if you plan to take Air Asia Long haul..tickets maybe RM9.99 but your breakfast lunch and dinner on board could be RM999.99...hehehehe but if thats the case also still cheap mah....oops but not yet add other stufff like blanket, pillows, headphones........

no risk no gain..salute to T.F...for the guts he has. In fact, low fare is what we or rather I look for when I plan my over sea trip. dont mind of the leg room as long as the travel time is less than 3 hours. BUT for long haul maybe TF should take all passagers point of view into consideration so that the complaint will be minimised.
Well, i am for sure lookng forward to the long haul that Air asia going to launch....so that we could venture into more countires n learn a bit of their culture then.

Well done TF.

The pride of having a Malaysian owned (private) company to ply such a long haul route on a "low cost, no frills" proposition is indeed something of an achievement. AirAsia is the largest and most successful low cost carrier in our region and to see them team up with big boys like Virgin and EasyJet is again another feather in the cap.
The success business module of a no frill airline has always been accepted with fight distances of no more than 3 hours....afterwhich inflight service will be needed..food, drinks, pillows and blankets and not to mention music, movies etc. to keep one occupied.
This would be a test case of sorts for not only AirAsia but the rest of the low cost carriers thinking of flying further than the norm.

Note: the RM9.99 advertised for KL - Manchester is just for the airfare, taxes and fuel surcharge excluded - add in another RM1,000 for that...that's still cheap.

Lets wait and see what else is chargeable. I am sure there will be many "optionals" for which one can purchase on board....
I believe they will charge for pillows and blankets too.

I remember EasyJet (for certain long haul routes) allowed only cabin bags for free and charged for checked-in luggage.

Everyone should read saturday's The Star for a comprehensive interview with Tony. Yeah Air Asia X is venturing into new ground with long haul flights, something that is termed as 12 hours radius.

Now this is truly Malaysia Boleh!

Top Bottom