After Market Spark Plugs/Non -OEM

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

gcarch

Club Guest
I recently bought OWS iridium plugs for my M52TUB20 engine. Plug gap set at 0.8mm.I was previously using OEM NGK plugs. Tried Bosch as specified in by BMW too, but felt that NGK's give better performance until I changed to iridiums. I've read about expensive after market plugs not giving any real performance gains but my switch to iridiums changed my perception of them. Engine revs freely, exhaust note sounds different at higher rpms, laggy feeling around 1000-2500rpm has been eradicated, better pick up from standing start now, I'd say that 0-100kph times have improved too.

agree with you especially on power at high rpm but not every car will run well on lower rpm especially idle.

since we are on this topic... Any electronic and electrical engineers in the forum who can help me with my questions.

4 Types of Plugs are tested on Nissan Cefiro 3.0 V6 fitted with NGV system sequencial

All plugs are new

1. Original Denso Nissan standard plug - Tested OK no misfire but lagging after 4000rpm
2. Bosch Super4 - Tested- bad misfire upon accerleration but more power from 3000-6000rpm
3. NGK Platinium G-Power - Tested - no misfire when cold upon accerleration but will mild misfire when hote, power is smooth from 2000-6000rpm
4. Denso Iridium - Tested but bad misfire upon accerleration but less misfire after regap to 0.8 and very power from 3000-6000rpm

Why the original plugs gave the best firing capacity? It it true that platinium and irridium plugs create less sparks but prolong plugs life

IsaacVky;416804 said:
Or maybe your previous plugs have showing its age.

well, Isaac, my previous plugs were brand new Bosch high power plugs (4 grounding points) as specified by BMW in their parts catalogue. I changed to my old NGK's which felt better. After which I hopped on to OWS iridiums. I plan to try out Volker iridiums when the stocks come in. They cost very much less than NGKs.

Mine idles well too. :top::top: Of course I also recently took out my hot wire sensor (MAF) and cleaned them with Wurth cleaning agent. Took only less than 30 minutes for the DIY job.

geoffreylee;416816 said:
since we are on this topic... Any electronic and electrical engineers in the forum who can help me with my questions.

4 Types of Plugs are tested on Nissan Cefiro 3.0 V6 fitted with NGV system sequencial

All plugs are new

1. Original Denso Nissan standard plug - Tested OK no misfire but lagging after 4000rpm
2. Bosch Super4 - Tested- bad misfire upon accerleration but more power from 3000-6000rpm
3. NGK Platinium G-Power - Tested - no misfire when cold upon accerleration but will mild misfire when hote, power is smooth from 2000-6000rpm
4. Denso Iridium - Tested but bad misfire upon accerleration but less misfire after regap to 0.8 and very power from 3000-6000rpm

Why the original plugs gave the best firing capacity? It it true that platinium and irridium plugs create less sparks but prolong plugs life

I am not an engineer but am I right by saying that well designed plugs require less voltage to create a good spark/arc, thus sparks are highly consistent and of a higher intensity? Thus optimizes on the firing process/sequence?

geoffreylee;416816 said:

All plugs are new

Iridium has bad electric and heat conductivity.

Top Bottom