Advice on Z3 & Z4 Rear Shock Mount

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

October08

Club Guest
Hi All, I have this to share with you guys here. My Z3 Shock Absorbers were due for replacement. I made the choice on KONI as they are rebound adjustable (firm/ soft) & had a local dealer in KL to indent order them for me about a year ago. I discovered after that the soft top must be dismantled before the Rear Shocks can be replaced. Not many machanics are familiar with the soft top, neither do I like the idea of having a machanic (not a cushion guy) messed with it. I did find a workshop that claimed to have experience in it, but was not able then to spare the long hours required for the job. So I only had my Front Shocks replaced & just left the stock Rear Shocks untouched till today. I logged in to bimmerfest yesterday & found an interesting recomendation by a member there. You may check it out @ http://www.rogueengineering.com/ to understand more. I'm thinking of taking this opportunity now to upgrade so as to avoid facing the similar problem of having to dismantle the soft top again in future with this Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts. I telephoned the co. earlier & was told this product is not handled by any dealer in Malaysia. I was advised to gather a few friends to group order. I'm not sure if there's any product like this available in KL. What's your take, guys. Feel free to PM or email me.

This is similar to the one offered by Meyle, albeit more robust in construction. I don't think anyone in KL carries either Rogue Engineering or the Meyle HD RSM.

What are the charges for shipping from RE?

I called & spoke to Mark of Rogue Engineering & followed by an email to him so that he could let me know about the shipping cost & other details once he gets them. I'll let you or anyone who's keen know after I get his reply.

October08;362203 said:
Hi All,

I have this to share with you guys here.

I discovered after that the soft top must be dismantled before the Rear Shocks can be replaced. Not many machanics are familiar with the soft top, neither do I like the idea of having a machanic (not a cushion guy) messed with it.​

Hi, I don't think you need to remove the entire top just to reach the absorbers and the top mounts. Like the Z4, you will have to remove the underside panel. The following was taken from the BMW TIS 2007.

BMW TIS 33 52 000
Removing and installing/replacing left or right rear shock absorber.
Saloon/Sedan, Coupé, Compact, Touring, Z3 Coupé:
Remove luggage compartment panel.
Convertible:The screws on the shock absorber mounting are located under the plastic caps in the convertible top compartment.
Z3 roadster:Remove panel from convertible top compartment.

Hope this helps.

October08;362346 said:
I called & spoke to Mark of Rogue Engineering & followed by an email to him so that he could let me know about the shipping cost & other details once he gets them. I'll let you or anyone who's keen know after I get his reply.

Cool. Make sure RE bundles the shipping together as well if we're able to obtain sufficient numbers for a group buy. Keep the updates coming.

cheers.

tkw, I did know that. Anyway, thanks for the info.
loafer, I'll keep you posted when I get the reply.

This is what I'm using on my E30.. can be used on the E36/E46. Pillowball rear shock mount.

PICT5906.jpg

PICT5907.jpg

Good for handling.. As for comfort, maybe slightly harsher then a brand new rubber mount. This set have been installed in my car for at least 3 years...

Ooh didn't notice you posted that fabian. Where did you get that and how much?

I'm still thinking about getting a order in from RE since the original poster seems to have vanished. :)

evilnickwong;421734 said:
Ooh didn't notice you posted that fabian. Where did you get that and how much?

I'm still thinking about getting a order in from RE since the original poster seems to have vanished. :)
custom made items - made to order.. Using the same pillowball bearings used on my front camber adjustable top mounts.

Let me check again how much it is now..

Thanks for the reply dude, will be waiting to see what it costs. :)

I assume this sort of mount will wear and fail eventually, just not as quickly as the OEM one where the metal core can pop out from large impacts, right?

Hi, Fabian.

count me in if you want to made this Pillowball rear shock mount.

front unit and rear unit. maybe some of my friend also want....

Top Bottom