Advice on super-charging

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

cleverboy

Club Guest
Hi guys, i am thinking abt super-charging my E36 318is, i am real noob in engine tech, so can i have some chun advice??? thnx.....

cleverboy said:
Hi guys, i am thinking abt super-charging my E36 318is, i am real noob in engine tech, so can i have some chun advice??? thnx.....

cleverboy, leave it stock or convert to a 325i and stay clever;)

cleverboy said:

U may PM Albundy for the 318is potential......His 318is going to complete n RHI its powerful...

BTW if ur 318is is manual...then its a good based to convert to M50B25 manual .....

oh ya, i m gonna do manual conversion oso.

does that mean that super-charging for my engine is not advisable???

the costs involved just makes it seem not worthwhile on an automatic e36 318.

hmmm, how about convert to M50B25 then put in a stroker kit instead... 3.2 litres... hehehe :D

You had better upgrade your brakes first. No sense in being able to go faster if you cannot stop your car quickly.

the money invest on the suspension & brake upgrade will yield you more fun than speed. what is the use for high speed if you can't fully utilize it to the limit....

Very true, at least for me, my other car (not a bimmer) has been tweaked a bit for good cornering, late braking and some midrange acceleration (minus top end power), and not much of anything else... somehow I still prefer driving this other car to work as it is much more nimble in Penang's 20-40km/h traffic, where the painted lines on the roads have no meaning... at least won't kena bully left right center like when I'm driving my E36...

ichiwan2 said:
You had better upgrade your brakes first. No sense in being able to go faster if you cannot stop your car quickly.

exactly..u can mod ur engine to kingdom come but do make sure u also upgrade the car's suspension and brakes accordingly.
make sure your budget includes all these..

Just want to give you some rough idea, a good supercharger such as Eaton Supercharger (normally found in Mercs) is going to cost you RM10K excluding labour. Since it is a plug-and-play concept supercharging an engine is less complicated than turbocharging. Engine life is better compared to turbocharging. Unfortunately, here in Malaysia there are not many supercharging experts around as compared to the States. Turbocharging is more popular.

Speed is relative, control and skill is everything. Before you decide to endevour into your quest for more power, have you honestly explored the potential of your e36 in a track environment.

My advise.....mod the driver before the car........it is something tht you can carry with you forever.

i concur with Kevster's advice but some will disagree, as usual.

kevster30 said:
Speed is relative, control and skill is everything. Before you decide to endevour into your quest for more power, have you honestly explored the potential of your e36 in a track environment.

My advise.....mod the driver before the car........it is something tht you can carry with you forever.

That is the difference between a real sifu's advice than a sifu apprentice.

If you really intend to supercharge the car, get the Downing Atlanta Kit. USD 3395 + shipping + tax.

funfer_fahrer said:
Just want to give you some rough idea, a good supercharger such as Eaton Supercharger (normally found in Mercs) is going to cost you RM10K excluding labour. Since it is a plug-and-play concept supercharging an engine is less complicated than turbocharging. Engine life is better compared to turbocharging. Unfortunately, here in Malaysia there are not many supercharging experts around as compared to the States. Turbocharging is more popular.

rm10k? unlikely,unless its 2nd hand.

as i recall,only Downing-Atlanta does a kit for 4cyl bimmers.others are mostly turbokits.u'll probably get circa 200bhp from it,and only if its a 16v engine.but if u can source one,it'll be good.an e36 with a stroked m50(3.0) would find it difficult to leave u in its wake.
hope the 318iS is a manual tho..

supergripen said:
rm10k? unlikely,unless its 2nd hand.

as i recall,only Downing-Atlanta does a kit for 4cyl bimmers.others are mostly turbokits.u'll probably get circa 200bhp from it,and only if its a 16v engine.but if u can source one,it'll be good.an e36 with a stroked m50(3.0) would find it difficult to leave u in its wake.
hope the 318iS is a manual tho..

Sorry bro, I just quoted him an example. At one time I was into Eaton supercharger because my previous ride was really slow until I saw the light.

funfer_fahrer said:
Sorry bro, I just quoted him an example. At one time I was into Eaton supercharger because my previous ride was really slow until I saw the light.

understood..

dude,if u're seeing light in ur e39 525i,let me take u on a ride in my STi.. remember the good ol'days when we were junior FOs?? i still drive like that(but only when i'm alone la:eek: ).

glad u saw the light bro..i was gettin' worried..:p

Top Bottom