2006 X3 2.5Si Transmission "adaptation"

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

shanbala

Club Guest
It has already been 12 months since i acquired my 2.5si 2006 X3.Over the last few weeks not very happy with the drive (transmission appeared not smooth)Had my mechanic carry out a diagnostic. No transmission fault code indicated but he did agree that transmission was behaving unhealthly. Because my model had a GM transmission, he advised me to change the transmission oil, service the valve body, which was duley done. Also, replace the axle oil. Total cost RM1,005 (Gear Oil, Axle Oil, Filter, Labour).Car was returned back to me after 24 hours. Car revving was high. This is when I learnt about BMW's Adaptive Transmission.Drove (wife did the driving as she is the main driver), up and down NPE for about 50km at a speed of 20-30km maximum. Never felt so bored in a car. Luckily it was 9.00pm, not much traffic.The explanation for this exercise - the X3 had to learn to adapt to my wifes driving style.It has been 5 days since this adaptation drive. Car drives smoothly. There was a noticeable difference between when the car was returned to me (my mechanic carried out the adapative drive session based on his driving style) and after the car was adapted to my wife's driving. Never knew such adaptation was necessary.You learn something new every day.Since this issues, been reading a lot about X3 transmission problems, transfer case issues, software updates etc ........ Hopefully i do not have to face such problems. Will definately be an expensive $$$$ outcome.rgds

Drove (wife did the driving as she is the main driver), up and down NPE for about 50km at a speed of 20-30km maximum. Never felt so bored in a car

50km at speed of 20 - 30 kmh !!! WOW , salute to you shanbala . WILL do endure anything for our wife ...:congrats:

- - - Updated - - -

Drove (wife did the driving as she is the main driver), up and down NPE for about 50km at a speed of 20-30km maximum. Never felt so bored in a car

50km at speed of 20 - 30 kmh !!! WOW , salute to you shanbala . WILL do endure anything for our wife ...:congrats:

I didn't know that i reset itself after those oil changes. I changed mine, but didn't do the 50km at 20km/h trick ;)

I read about the reset transmission procedures online. Tried it but couldn't make it to work. There are many versions floating online, but this is the version that i read where most people had it successful.

1. Place key in ignition.
2. Turn key to it's first position (the instrument cluster will light up...)
3. Press accelerator all the way down to the floor and hold it there for a minimum of 30 seconds.
4. By roughly ~25 - to - ~30 seconds you should here a faint sound (somewhat like a "click"). That appearently is the tranny shift map resetting.
5. Take foot off accelerator turn key to off and remove it.

Let me know if anybody get this to work.

Top Bottom