2002 318i value please

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fgin

Club Guest
Hi everybody, Im in Melbourne, Australia at the moment. But out of interest, how much will my car be worth in Malaysia?Here are pics;http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13290663It now has OEM carbon cube interior trim and soon will have style 135s fitted with brand new Bridgestone potenzas. I would like some realistic figure considering it has done about 130,000kms but not an oil leak or any other issues what so ever. I have spared no cost on maintenance and has every thing OEM apart from the dynavin (audio/nav system) and speakers (JBLs). I have the OEM audio gear if that will make the car worth more. Thanks guys.

Check out mudah.my and u will get a pretty accurate up to date market price...

60K++ For E46 320i ... this one might go there with everything check out right :)

tamade7;705891 said:
Mudah says around RM60k++

Slips;705863 said:
Check out mudah.my and u will get a pretty accurate up to date market price...

xcrave;705894 said:
60K++ For E46 320i ... this one might go there with everything check out right :)

Thanks guys for the reply. I did check Mudah after posting here, it seems between 65 - 85. As my care is truly in 'tiptop' condition I would imagine I will get at least 75 :). What do you think ?

On the other hand, I see so many BMWs there for sale. How popular are BMWs ? Are they easy to sell ? How do you manage with parts ? Are they expensive to maintain ? Where do you source parts from? How hard is it to buy parts from overseas ? Are there duty/customs issues with importing parts for personal use?

Sorry for lots of questions. Any help would be much appreciated as my brother has an option to move there and bring a car for personal use. I might consider if he is successful. What would be a car that would be worth bringing in the long run? I am very familiar with BMWs and have all to diagnostics computer (GT1/DIS) gear too so if I eventually do move I can help any of you too ;)

I'm currently looking for a E46. Judging from the cars I've see, I would pay RM 70,000 - 75,000 for a 2002 car in tip-top condition.

crusher;706392 said:
I'm currently looking for a E46. Judging from the cars I've see, I would pay RM 70,000 - 75,000 for a 2002 car in tip-top condition.

Thanks for the input, good to know :)
Btw, Make sure you do your home work before you buy one of these cars.

Oil leaks are common and a careful user would have got them repaired as they crop up since they are almost always due to perished seals and o-rings which are cheap.
On 318i with n42b20 engine, you should also look at the vacuum pump (#2 here http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AZ72&mospid=47632&btnr=11_3178&hg=11&fg=15) for any leaks in oil. Usually it goes after about 100K kms and will need to be replaced. Symptoms are burning smell when car is started in the morning due to droplets of oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold. This also will cause a bit of smoke to come out the engine bay.

Also check for burning oil.

Other than that, the usual e46 weak points such as the cooling system. When the expansion tank was replaced, when if at all was the radiator replaced, hoses replaced ?

g'luck, if you need any other info then please dont hesitate to PM :)

What would you pay to keep up a 318i (2002) in Malaysia;
1. Yearly insurance ?
2. Yearly registration and any other govt costs ?
3. I think there is a test, it needs to pass road worthiness every year? cost ?
4. Any other costs apart from routine maintenance?

thanks again for your help :)

fgin;706757 said:
What would you pay to keep up a 318i (2002) in Malaysia;
1. Yearly insurance ?
2. Yearly registration and any other govt costs ?
3. I think there is a test, it needs to pass road worthiness every year? cost ?
4. Any other costs apart from routine maintenance?

thanks again for your help :)

1. Car insurance is required for your car to be driven legally on the road. Premium is calculated based on your car's current market price.
2. Only yearly road tax. You need car insurance to get road tax. Calculated based on your engine's CC. RM280 for 1800 exact CC.
3. Not required unless you want to sell your car or change the engine. Pretty darn cheap, around RM60 if I'm not mistaken. But the shitty thing is you need to remove all your windows tinting and the people there don't take care of your car.
4. Petrol :rock:

Yeow;706845 said:
1. Car insurance is required for your car to be driven legally on the road. Premium is calculated based on your car's current market price.
2. Only yearly road tax. You need car insurance to get road tax. Calculated based on your engine's CC. RM280 for 1800 exact CC.
3. Not required unless you want to sell your car or change the engine. Pretty darn cheap, around RM60 if I'm not mistaken. But the shitty thing is you need to remove all your windows tinting and the people there don't take care of your car.
4. Petrol :rock:

Thanks dude!
1. What would you pay insurance for a car worth RM75000 ?
2. What would road tax it be for a 2000cc engine ?
3. Cool, thats the same here.
4. haha btw ... Is RON95, RON98 freely available ?
- What about

Thanks Slips for the info.

Have done a lot of little mods to the car. Favorites are the OEM xenon lights, sports interior and exterior, M3 SMG (paddleshift) tri stitch steering wheel hooked up to the steptronic M mode. Soon will have the Style 135 M sport wheels on as well. Currently on Style 72 Msport wheels.

Do you guys have pics of your cars anywhere? Maybe open a showroom thread where all can post :)

gendong;707085 said:
There's a thread for proud owners here bro http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-The-Showroom . Perhaps you too can share ur ride and passion....:cool:
Thanks to you, I have now got a thread there as well.
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?46062-e46-318i

Btw guys, I was speaking to a friend who lives in Malaysia about cars and insurance. I hear cars get stolen there and insurance will not pay until Police confirms its stolen which is fair but this process takes years. Is that correct? Also heard that gangs steal cars and they can be in ships within hours out bound to another country. So how fearful are you about your pride and joy getting stolen? How do you protect them? Steering locks etc ? Or are the thieves only going for Japanese cars? Any insight would be nice.

bmw7833;708224 said:
Normally car lost claim can be settle within half year la bro..

Thanks buddy :) half a year is still a long time. Will insurance pay for taxis until your claim is resolved?
Just wondering if there was such a scheme?

fgin;708229 said:
Thanks buddy :) half a year is still a long time. Will insurance pay for taxis until your claim is resolved?
Just wondering if there was such a scheme?
Dont think they will pay for taxis.
Preventive measrures can be taken by using steering lock or gps tracker. A high end car like bmw has a lower risk to be stolen compared to honda or toyota. It has always been better to have another safety lock than never

ezzo369;709408 said:
Dont think they will pay for taxis.
Preventive measrures can be taken by using steering lock or gps tracker. A high end car like bmw has a lower risk to be stolen compared to honda or toyota. It has always been better to have another safety lock than never

Insurance in Malaysia is a ripoff. Since cars here are very expensive, they rarely write-off cars which had been involved in a very severe accident but insist owners to repair it. Write-offs aka total loss by right should be granted when the repair cost exceeds the value of the car.

In BMW sense especially (in MY) this will never happen as new cars or say a BMW less than 5 years old will always be cheaper to repair here due to cheap labour and the abundance of used parts or better known as chopped parts.

I am suggesting/challenging Mysian insurance companies adopting the UK BMI standard by categorizing the level of motor claims into 4 groups i.e A,B,C,D

A is for scrappy-no parts can be recycled,
B can only be sold for parts,
C can be sold/repaired with a need to pass a special vehicle inspection approval,
D can be sold as a normal car but with the mark on the identity for accident repaired category D. hence lower value for category D but then nobody gets/feels cheated.

Note:this info was correct during my UK stint of about 3 years (2006-2009) after having sold and bought cars every 3 mths or so as cars are bloody cheap there.
Cheers

Top Bottom