1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Engine Sludge... what to do?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anthonyhor, Jan 6, 2021.

1. anthonyhor

anthonyhor Club Guest

Hi guys, went to workshop last week to replace valve cover gasket as it was leaking, when workshop opened the valve cover, i saw sludges all over the place inside the engine... Workshop guy just tell me to do oil changes in shorter interval (6k instead of 10k for full syn oil), is it gonna help? Or should i try to do some engine flushing (change engine oil to rimula r6, or seafoam)?

The car is a 2008 e60 523i lci n52 engine

IMG_20210104_125902.jpg IMG_20210104_130154.jpg

2. kama

kama Club Guest

Whats ur car mileage ? My previous E90 325i N52 which clocked 395,000 km never had this issue, but i do change engine oil at 7k km interval and beware some workshops do not sell genuine full synthetic..quite a thick sludge there.

3. Rick1

Rick1 Active Member

What manufacturers oil have you been using? Sludge in the engine is potentially a cause of major damage. I would suggest adding liqui moly engine flush, follow the instructions and drain the oil. Replace the oil with good quality fully synthetic of the correct spec and grade and run for 2K Kms, add engine flush again and drain and replace the oil with fully synthetic.

4. anthonyhor

anthonyhor Club Guest

Current mileage approaching 170k km, I changed my oil at a somewhat well known workshop, so I think they do use genuine engine oil

5. anthonyhor

anthonyhor Club Guest

The last 2 oil changes have been ENOC full-syn oil, but I thought they say engine flush will cause the deposit to clog the engine small crevices and cause more problem that it solves?

6. Rick1

Rick1 Active Member

ENOC is not really a top quality oil, there is only 1 ENOC oil approved for BMW (Protec Extreme SAE 5W 40). Many users have used oil flush without problem but if you are in doubt and are not happy to use it do not do it. As a minimum drain the oil and use a better quality oil and drain again after 2K Kms.
    Just one question. Do you loose any coolant at all?

7. kama

kama Club Guest

Why not try change workshop and monitor the difference, i am quite loyal to one bmw workshop for repair and changing parts, but for engine oil i go to another workshop since the engine feel is different if i change the oil on first workshop.. even though they use the same brand of oil, fully synthetic shell ultra.. so i believe one might be ori, the other one might be mixed or manufactured formula

8. anthonyhor

anthonyhor Club Guest

I think no coolant lost, and if not mistaken, the workshop used ENOC Protec Extreme SAE 5W 40 in my car... Some people suggested to switch to shell rimula r6 for its high detergent content, drive for 2k km and change oil again. Rinse and repeat until sludge is gone.

9. Rick1

Rick1 Active Member

I believe that Shell Rimula R6 is a Diesel engine oil. It is not on the approved BMW list of oils. Be careful using it.
    If you are using no water then the sludge can only be coming from the oil, perhaps mixed with old oil at last change? I would strongly recommend using a good quality oil, read the threads to see what the people on here are using. I have used liqui moly for the past 6 years without any problems.

10. enkil

enkil Official Member

Any related high fuel consumption or high temp?

11. viktorlovisa

viktorlovisa New Member

Installing a new oil filter.
    Loosen the oil filter using an oil filter wrench and allow the remaining oil to drain. Discard the dirty filter.
    Grab the new oil filter and put a small amount of clean oil on the oil filter gasket.
    Use only your hand to install the oil filter. Turn the oil filter in a clockwise direction to tighten.
    After draining the dirty oil and installing a new oil filter, you should go ahead and reinstall the drain plug.
    https://www.achieveng.com/soil-testing-near-me/

#11 viktorlovisa, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  12. kama

kama Club Guest

Yeah its a simple diy with many youtube videos that can help. Save u money too. Buy torque wrench bro, to ensure its properly tighten.