1. Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Dunlop tyre brittle / peeling off

Discussion in 'Club Enquiries' started by Saliman Zainal, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Saliman Zainal

Saliman Zainal New Member

Anyone having issue with the front tyre starting to peel off or brittle? My 520i M Sport 2016 comes with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 245/45/R18 at the front. At the rear comes with 275/40/R18 of the same brand. Only the front tyres having the problem, not the rear. Is this common to Dunlop tyres?

2. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

Yes its is common for Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT to hv this ‘chunking’ issue. Compound used too hard in making up the tyre. Gravel/small stones add to the issue esp when turning right or left.

3. Saliman Zainal

Saliman Zainal New Member

Tq for the reply. If that the case shouldn’t Dunlop and Auto Bavaria recall the so call “defective” tyre for safety reasons? Or it does not reduce the performance of the tyre at all? I don’t believe such a big corporation like Dunlop and Auto Bavaria would just apply a do nothing stand. I’ll write to both Dunlop and Auto Bavaria officially to bring this up or I have to tell my friends not to use Dunlop tyres for their BMW and go to other dealer for better deal.

4. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

I am not sure of there are any action by Dunlop or AB. So far, performance is still the same i.e. not different. If you do write to Dunlop/AB, do share the outcome with the forum so ppl wld take note. thanking you in advance bro

5. NumberTWO

NumberTWO Club Guest

was it caused by the heavier front? My 2x front donuts are showing the same sign.. contemplating whether to change all 4x or just the front..

6. gendong

gendong Moderator
    Club Committee

possible cause also......